I stand in front of that display counter in my neighborhood pattiserie and ask myself that million dollar question Everytime..
“Should I eat or should I not eat?”
Invariably,I fall prey to greed.
And then there’s that guilt just after I wash the last bite down with a cup of sugar less Or unsweetened coffee.
And that guilt never goes away, even if I try to walk off a few kilometers on the treadmill.
Do you constantly face this dilemma??
Or is it just me?
I can’t be alone ,or cheesecake would not be a multi million dollar industry.
If you’ve ever made cheesecake at home, you’ll realize the actual colossal amount of calories that melt in your mouth , with each amazing bite of silky goodness of that cheesecake.
Almost a million.
There’s 24 oz of high fat cream cheese.
There’s cream itself.
And the eggs and sugar and the cookie crust has more, butter and sugar and more deliciousness itself.
So I had to find a way around those calories.
Because ,face it…. I can’t stand the sound of my conscience arguing with my greed.
This is a recipe I’ve worked on for the longest time now… And it’s this time that the taste is better than the original.
Start by buying yogurt or setting yogurt with at least 2% fat milk.
We use toned milk from which one layer of fat has been removed.
oh and that is called malai.
Place a cheesecloth on a strainer and allow the yogurt to drain.
You can drink the whey that drains out as a boost to your health.
I like to mix Oreo with a pack of digestive cookies , instead of all Oreo in the crust.
You can use either of the two or a mix.
Grind the cookies in a food processor. The cookies are sweet enough and don’t need sugar.
Add the butter and mix well. I’ve found that when you see chilled butter cut into small cubes and mix like a piecrust dough, you use less butter as compared with melted butter.
Combine the butter and cookie crumbs and try and hold a fist full together. If everything fall apart, add a spoon of butter, else use it as it is.
Line a spring form tin with parchment paper . For a baked cheesecake ,I avoid a fluted pie tin.
And you’ll spoil your dessert and waste precious cheesecake…you can’t be licking cheesecake off the sides in your friends company.
My mum says if you scrape the bottom of the pan in which your favorite dessert is made, it will rain on your wedding.
It did rain on my wedding…
And my brother in law loves kheer, the Indian rice pudding. His mum says he’s scraped off and licked the ladles of every pot of kheer she’s ever made.
And it poured on my sister’s wedding.
And he got drenched when he was on horseback…
These aren’t old wives tales you know. Mother’s, they know.
Aluminium foil like this
Sweet child does this for brownie pans, if I bake when he’s around.
We know we’ll be planning his wedding in the Sahara Desert for sure…
So press the cookie crumbs onto the base of the tin and place in an oven at 180C for 10-15 Minutes.
Take a long piece of al foil and fold in half. Place the cheesecake tin on it and bring up the foil to cover the sides .
So when you place the cheesecake in a water bath ,you’re ensuring no water enters the cookie crust or batter.
Place the hung yogurt in a mixing bowl.
Add the cream, sugar and vanilla essence.
Mix well. You’re not looking to areate the mix. So a simple whisk will suffice.
Whisk in the cornflour.
Now whisk on one egg at anytime and ensure no streaks are present.
You can tatse for sweetness. I add less sugar because the crust is sweet and the cheesecake will be accompanied by either a fruit coulis or compote or Chocolate sauce.
Or a fruit crush or jam thinned with alcohol.
So a little sugar goes a long way.
Place the cheesecake tin in a large dish with an inch of water and place in the oven.
The cheesecake will bake for at least 50 minutes it may need another 20 minutes also but That depends upon the fat content of your yoghurt so even if your cheesecake looks a little to Jiggly after An hour ,don’t worry ..just increase the time for another 20 to 25 minutes . After the Jiggle is only in the centre of the cheesecake , turn off the oven . Remove the cheesecake from the water bath , remove the aluminium foil and replace the cheesecake back into the event after turning it off and allow the cheesecake to cool in the oven itself.
There may be a small amount of fat that you see in when you remove the Aluminium foil that has come from the cookie Crust and that was extra so be happy it’s gone
After the cheesecake has cold cover it with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours
Run a knife around the edges and unmould onto your serving platter . Slice wedges of the cheesecake and serve with a fruit compote or a coulis or a Chocolate Sauce or a good quality Berry jam that you have thinned out with a tablespoon of Brandy or another liqueur of your choice. ( thats what I do…)
Try out my cheesecake recipe .
It may take a little bit longer to bake than the cheesecake in your local patisserie , but that is only because of the yoghurt and I find it tastes better than what you get outside . That slight tang of the yogurt offsets the sweetness and the richness of the cheesecake.
Of course the bonus of half the calories.
Baked New York Style Cheesecake with Yogurt
A lighter lower calorie version of a super rich decadent cheesecake made with a few minor changes to the original recipe.
- 24 oz or 675 gms hung curd made from approximately 1500 gms of regular yogurt
- 200 mils Cream
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- Pinch salt
- 2 packs 150 gms size oreo cookies / digestive cookies
- 50 gms cold butter I used amul, if you use unsalted, add a pinch of salt
- Grind the cookies in a food processor or dry mixer jar.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Dice cold butter into small pieces.
- Using a fork try and blend in the butter till almost bread crumbs.
- Line the base of your spring form tin with parchment paper.
- Tear out a long strip of aluminium foil. Fold and place the spring form tin on that.
- Snugly wrap the tin with the al foil so that the water gets no space to seep in. Ive attached an old picture...
- Now pop the tin in the oven at 180C till the rest of the stuff is done or for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- In a mixing bowl place the hung curd which should be at room temperature .
- Whisk in the cornflour.
- Add the cream, salt, sugar and vanilla essence.
- Now whisk in 1 egg at a time.
- Ensure there are no streaks and taste for sugar. Add a spoon more if you feel its less sweet.
- Pour all the batter over the cookie crust.
- Place a baking dish with an inch of water in the oven and place the spring form tin on that.
- Bake for atleast 60 minutes and check till done.
- Once only the centre is a little jiggly, remove from the steam bath and allow it to cool in the oven.
- Cover with film and chill at least 6 hours before cutting into wedges.
- Slice and serve with a fruit sauce.
- I dusted a little freeze dried raspberry powder for tartness over my wedge...
- If you dont like a pale cheesecake, feel free to turn on the grill for a minute. I did. I love the caramalised look...
I will soon be posting my baked chocolate cheesecake so watch out for that and do let me know what was your family’s reaction to this New York baked cheesecake.