I had to add that to the title.
That is the most amazing thing I could have ever made.
Zero added fat.
Can you even imagine all seeds, flavorings ,seasonings etc but no fat.
I can scream this out from over the rooftop. Actually the boys say that I’m perpetually screaming from rooftops, even though I am sitting at home.
I know I’m loud…
Back to these bird seed crackers. I’ve been reading up a lot on keto diets and stuff and I also realized that my body will not be able to loose the weight it needs to, with a high fat low carb diet.
We’ve been fighting the battle of the Bulge for the longest time. And cake hasn’t really helped. Honestly,I’ve tried the health and low fat and stuff, but cake needs fat.
And it also needs carbs to be tatsy.
Now I need to go low carb, but I love bread. And cake.
And as a baker, well, carbohydrates are an occupational hazard. So we’ve got to balance it out.
I saw millions of these chia seed crackers online and made a few alterations according to my taste and availability. The results are fabulous and the only drawback, you need to make them Often.
Else ,in a city like Mumbai,they’ll get soggy.
And soggy crackers are bad news.
So we’re planning two small crackers a day because an overdose of good stuff is bad news.
You need to try them, and hopefully I’ll be able to get the quinoa flour Florentines right soon too.
You definitely need parchment paper for these.
Place the seeds in a bowl. Drop them… Some drama is always good news.
Add the salt, herbs and grated or finely minced garlic.
If you don’t like garlic you can skip that and add lemon zest or orange zest.
I suggest trying out the recipe once and then making changes to suit your taste buds.
Stir in the water and allow the water to be absorbed. We’re waiting for a slimy mess here… Once you see no water at the bottom of the bowl,you’re good to go.
Pat the mix on the parchment paper with wet hands or try to unsuccessfully and messily roll the mix into a thin sheet .
Mine was approximately 1/4 of an inch thick.
Plonked into the oven at 300F or 150C for 30 minutes.
Then the biggest task was flipping the sheet over. I was first thinking of cutting the crackers… Then I realized it was too much effort . So I placed another sheet of parchment paper and another cookie sheet and flipped it over.
Back into the oven for 35 minutes or until the edges turn a golden brown.
Now you can just break the sheet into bits or use a metal cookie cutter…. I’d bother so much only if they queen was coming over for tea.
I use a mezzaluna or a piza knife and cut wedges into almost diamonds.
And they’re done.
They need an accompanying dip…I cannot tell a lie.
I’ve got this tzatziki with pomegranate pearls and dill.
I’ve got this hummus that I flavored with bhut jhalokia sauce…
And I have some cucumber crudities…
Let’s all eat healthy till there is cake.
That’s another story all together.
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary /thyme
- Grated garlic
- 1 cup water
- Place the seeds in a bowl.
- Season with salt , finely chopped herbs and grated garlic.
- Add almost all the water and allow the chia seeds to absorb the liquid.
- Add the remaining liquid if needed.
- Plop the mix onto a parchment paper lined cookie tray and Pat with a wet hand to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Place the cookie tray in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Place a parchment paper over the cracker sheet and cover with another cookie sheet.
- Flip over and peel off the parchment paper.
- If these are for a dinner party ,you can mark circles to cut with a cookie cutter right now.
- Pop into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes till the edges are golden brown.
- Remove and cut into desired shapes with a large knife or redo the cookie cutter over the cracker sheet.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.
- You can Crispen the crackers integrated oven or in a toaster if the crackers get soggy.
- They do become soggy in Mumbai's humidity.
- Serve with a tzatziki, or a mayonnaise or chutney or just plain.
- Super healthy and easy to make.
Let’s bake the world a better place .