Navratri is supposed to be about abstinence. And detoxing. And giving up things that we crave ,just to reinforce faith in the almighty.
I have total faith. And seven days… it’s all in play. And the best thing about the fasting, is the intake of healthy foods. All the No grain flours that we consume, during this time are really good for the body. Only we must use them judiciousl. And combined with the right ingredients,these can be amazing.
Our Ancestors and Ayurveda have spoken of these same flours. I’m sure ,they weren’t deep frying and baking at that time, but steaming is an excellent idea.
I love using Kuttu, singhada and Rajgira atta as they are so versatile. So this time, instead of making fried Tikki or rotis , I made idlis. They were super quick, less messy and took only 10 minutes of my time. Oh and I checked online, Kuttu atta and curd or yogurt together are really good for your body. So skip the frying and pooris today and make idlis.
I used baking soda to make Instant Kuttu atta Idlis, but if you have issues with baking soda , feel free to allow for natural fermentation.
That will be much healthier. With all the vitamin B that gets added to fermented batter,the health quotient increases.
I used Desi ghee or clarified butter for greasing the idlis moulds and also dropped a few drop of ghee on the idlis.
That of course is your decision. I believe that an absolutely fat free diet will eventually harm your body. You may of course temper the idlis with mustard seeds and curry leaves if you want to eat them on any regular day.
Since they are so easy and healthy, why not.
All you need are three ingredients. And a steamer. Use your microwave if you will, but I prefer steaming over water.
- Kuttu Atta 1 cup
- Sour Curds or Yogurt 1 cup
- Sendha Nanak 1 tsp
- Desi ghee to grease the moulds
- Baking soda one generous pinch
- Grease the idli moulds generously.
- Mix the Kuttu atta nand the yogurt to get a smooth batter of dropping consistency. Not too runny, if the yogurt is watery, you may not need all of it. Mix the salt and the baking soda and set aside.
- After 10 minutes, stir and pour almost full into the idli mould. Place in steamer and steam 7-8 minutes.
- After that time ,lift the lid carefully and poje a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean , remove idli moulds from steamer and allow them to cool.
- After 5-10 minutes, run a spoon under the idlis to unmould.
- Serve warm with ghee or a light tomato curry or yogurt.
- These are super light, healthy and filling.
- So they'll satisfy your cravings without any doubts.
- If you are steaming in individual bowls in the microwave, make sure to grease them well.
- Place a glass half full of water in the middle with the idlis and steam at full powder for 6 minutes.
- Allow them to stand for atleast 5 minutes before you unmould them.
- It's important to allow them to sit before unmoulding the idlis as they will be sticky and not come out clean.
Eat healthy this navratri. Saatvik food is meant to benefit you.
The details of the buckwheat flour and kuttu atta are available online. found the bst resources here.
Do try these out.
So what are you baking today???