Granola is supposed to be sweet,right?
Somedays you need a salty and Savoury, spicy topping for your yogurt.
I love sweet and I adore chocolate. But mostly , I need to skip desserts for breakfast. My blood is crying out for salt and something Savory in the morning.
And of course I do need a little healthy, filling breakfast.
What would you say ,if I help you pick your ingredients to make a granola that you can top your yogurt with, or add it to your salad and skip the dressing or just chop up some cucumbers and tomatoes and Sprinkle over for a late night snack. Maybe you could top you pulao and also top your boring sandwich with. Hell, we even Sprinkle it over some chocolate ice cream.
This sweet and salt, together, is possibly the most amazing combination ever
The possibilities are endless.
You basically need oats in any form. I use a mix of rolled oats and quick cooking Oats. Primarily because of the textural differnces . I like using wheat puffs. You can use rice puffs, beaten rice poha for your granola . I also add a lot of super foods like hemp seeds ,flax seeds and chia seeds.
Also , I use pumpkin and sunflower seeds. You may use chopped nuts, but this is rich enough already. To bind, I use a mixture of peanut butter, olive oil and canola .Olive oil gives it a wonderful fragrance, peanut butter a yum crust and canola is neutral and lighter.
I like to Spice it up with mint leaves powder, a little chat masala ,red chilli flakes and pink salt …because that’s my current favourite . You may of course you sea salt or regular TATA namak.
I am going to give you a basic proportion, you can adjust it according to your taste and according to the ingredients available in your cupboard. So at a pinch,you never have a reason to not have breakfast.
All you need is a small bowl of yoghurt and maybe half a cup of chopped cucumber. Go right ahead and spread the granola on top for a healthy ,crunchy ,yummy and complete breakfast.
It only takes 15 minutes and this entire amount will last you at least two weeks . Remember moderation is the key…because too much of a good thing is also bad.
I like adding finally chopped cucumber and sometimes a little bit of onion and tomatoes and then I’d like to top it with this granola. An extra Sprinkle of mint leaves and a tiny bit of lemon zest goes fantastically well with this. So I am sorted for some time.
The yoghurt, of course, is healthy because of the amount of probiotics. The cucumber ,tomato ,onion , give the fresh vegetables ,fibre, minerals, et cetera. The Mint ads the Zing and lemon zest is just an amazing addition .
The superfoods and granola Are of course the best gift you can give to your body every morning. Oats are very good for our digestive system and they fill you up . Seeds, peanut butter ,Olive oil and canola oil provide the essential fatty acids to help your body absorb all the good things you have eaten.
If you want to skip peanut butter because you think it is extremely fattening ,you can also use egg white ,but because this is for everyone I skipped the egg whites.
You can also make the granola gluten free by skipping the wheat puffs and increasing the rolled oats or adding rice puffs or Quinoa puffs instead.
You may add crunchy peanut butter or reduce the amount of peanut butter or change the Herbs, totally according to your preference. For us in India, mint in the morning would probably be the best that you could do for freshness.
Do check out my video on Facebook. Also check out the Instagram page and like , follow and show us some love. have been playing around with the phone settings and having a lot of fun doing .Make the Granola.
You need to place the peanut butter and oil in a glass bowl and microwave it for half a minute and mix well.
In a large bowl mix up the dry ingredients and the spices and pour over the oil and peanut butter mixture.
Use a spatula and combine well.
Layover a parchment paper lined baking tray and spread the granola thick . You won’t get clusters like you get with chocolate granola but,these will be close enough.
Pop into a preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes stirring once and replacing in the oven for another 5 to 7 minutes.
Cool and bottle in glass mason jars and use up within two weeks.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled or quick cooking oats
- 1 cup wheat puffs/quinoa puffs/rice puffs
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil / canola oil mix
- 2 tsp sea salt or pink salt
- 1 tbsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes or pepper
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds flax, hemp, chia
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds sunflower,pumpkin
- 2 tbsp fried onions-birista(optional)
- Place the peanut butter and oils in a glass bowl and microwave for half minute.
- Preheat the oven 180° C and line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- In a big bowl mix oats, wheat puffs, seeds, salt, chaat masala ,red chilli flakes or pepper and mint leaves.
- Mix and then pour over the mixed butter and oil well.
- Pour over the parchment paper and spread 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and stir, place back for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the fried onions and cool.
- Store in mason jars .
- Chaat masala is a mixture of mnay spices and adds a tang to the dish. If you are unable to find that, use dry mango powder or amchoor instead.
- Black salt, pink salt, sea salt and regular iodised salt will give different tastes.
- Birista or ready made onions add a very curry like flavour.
- You can use chopped nuts instead of seeds, but seeds taste better.
- The granola is yours... I've given you a guide, feel free to make it yours.
- If you live in a humid city like mumbai, feel free to refresh the granola by baking again.